Winter Kayaking and Canoeing
Near Kansas City (Missouri and Kansas)
While our Paddle KC paddling club fun slows down a bit during cold water seasons of fall, winter and spring, we still have a great time on and off the water! This year we’re adding more online activities along with outdoor fun. We’ve been following careful pandemic safety measures while continuing to enjoy outdoor activities. If you’re new to winter kayaking, this paddling club is a great option for having fun while learning how to paddle more safely and comfortably. If you’re not already a member, sign up to receive invitations and participate!
- Monthly fall and winter activities for Kansas City area kayakers, paddleboarders and canoeists. Show up to paddle, or show up to check out gear required and recommended by our experienced members. While paddleboarding is an option, we require a full drysuit or semi-drysuit and advanced skills for SUP users paddling in cold water.
- Occasional winter weekend trips to paddle Ozark rivers and other fairly close destinations during the “off season” when we can enjoy having the river to ourselves! Winter kayaking and canoeing is wonderful with adequate preparations, gear, and safety precautions!
- Winter trip(s) to paddle with palm trees and warm waters. This year, our plan for winter kayaking in Florida were canceled due to Covid but we will go another time.
- Volunteer activities at local parks, including river cleanups and park projects, to get outside and have fun together while doing good for our outdoor community.
- Online get-togethers for Paddle KC members including Paddlers Show & Tell sessions on topics of interest to kayakers, paddleboarders and canoeists. We may have plain old social gatherings as well.
Learn about cold water paddling safety and required clothing and gear on our Dressing for Cold Water Paddling post.
November Paddling Events
- Paddlers Show & Tell on Choosing Paddles
- November River Multi-Day Camping Trip
- Black Friday Paddle & Cleanup with Bonfire
- Full-ish Moon Paddle OR Hike with Bonfire
December Paddling Events
- Florida Treasure Coast Paddling Adventure (canceled due to COVID)
- Local No SNOW Yet Paddle
- Paddlers Show & Tell on Winter Kayak/Canoe Camping
- Last Day/First Day Float & Celebration
January Paddling Events
- Kayak Pool Session – Skills Practice (canceled due to COVID)
- January Local Kansas City Area Paddle
- Kansas City Area Local SNOW Kayaking (Date TBD)
- January River Paddle Trip
Sign Up For Winter Kayaking Opportunities
We add winter kayaking and paddling events to our Paddle KC paddling club calendar regularly, and update details as needed to deal with changing weather conditions. We also follow changing local pandemic regulations for local or travel events.
After joining Paddle KC, members receive invitations to all activities, and also updates as changes happen. If you have a winter kayaking request, we’d love to hear it!